Thursday, April 23, 2009

Evaluation



In what way does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



  • My media product uses a number of forms and conventions, for instance the setting of the product is in a big isolated patch of woodland, the character who gets stalked in my media product is a Woman with blond hair who is sexually available which is a convention of Horror films. Also the music which i used has long notes which make the audience hold their breath and also makes the atmosphere tense and in the chase scene i incorporated a heartbeat into the background of the music which makes the product tense too.

How does your media product represent particular social groups?



  • My media product represents the C2 social group as my character is from the C2 social group but i expect that my product would appeal to the C1C2DE social groups too but this shouldnt exclude the A and B social groups as they may want to watch it, for instance if they were big horror movie fans but if they were not im not too sure it would be likely for this type of film too appeal to them. The female character is a C2 class public school pupil who is wearing uniform signifiying that she is somewhere between the age of 11-16 meaning that she could be in year 7-11.

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?



  • Although I would like my product to tap into the mainstream, UK-wide or worldwide audience most films that depict the North of England are limited with their box office success. There are some exceptions to this with some films such as Billy Elliot and Trainspotting but this is mainly because they are very unique movies and appeal to quite a lot of people for many various reasons. I would expect it is most likely that my product would be distibuted by a smaller company or an Indie company as these do not strictly apply to a mainstream audience and take on films from relatively unknown directors. Some of these companies are Warp Films, Working Title and Film4 and if they thought that my media product was good i would hope that one of these companys would distribute it for me.

Who would be the audience for your media product?



  • The audience for my media product would be 15-34/18-34 depending on whether i decided to take it down a more brutal and gory path. But mainly it would be 15-34 because the media product would be unsuitable for younger audiences but maybe not interest older audience members . Having a teenage actor should heighten the appeal to a teenage audience.

How did you attract/ address your audience?



  • I attracted my audience by using a white female actor which should appeal to a white and male audience. Later in the movie i would also introduce more actors/ actresses of different ethnicities which should help bring in a wider audience. I would also try to publicise the movie by getting advertisements on social websites like Facebook, Myspace and Twitter which many people use every day and also maybe in popular magazines too so my media product would be advertised to as wide an audience as possible.

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?



  • Since starting this project i have learnt a lot about various media technologies. For instance the iMovie HD program on the school Apple Macs. I used this program to edit my media product but before starting this project i had limited knowledge of how to use the program (from the preliminary task) but i used the tutorials on the apple website to increase my understanding of how to use it. I also learnt how to use the camcorder and tripod during the actual filming of the media product which i had never used before before the occasion. Even though i didnt use any of my own music in my media product (all from copyright free websites) i had a look on Garageband and leant how to us the basics of the program.

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?



  • I have Learnt that even though working in a large group is hard because of many conflicting opinions and ideas it would probably have been easier to work in a pair than on my own as the workload was greatly increased and due to this my organisation for the project was greatly below standard so i ended up having to do a lot of it towards the end of the time given for the project. Taking this information into account i think that the quality of my final media product could have been better but i am quite happy with the final cut anyway.

Altogether in my opinion the project turned out good but i should have worked in a pair so the workload would be less and the work i completed would have been of a higher quality and also i should have been more organised at the start of the project and i think this would have increased the quality of the work that i have produced too.

No comments: